EUROCITIES, the network of major European cities, offers a work experience placement for six months in the field of social affairs starting beginning of September 2017.
The successful candidate will support EUROCITIES policy advisors in the social affairs team, whose work covers wide EU and urban policy topics such as inclusive employment, fighting poverty and social exclusion, migration and integration, refugees, housing and homelessness, active ageing and education.
The placement will include the following tasks
- monitoring policy initiatives and developments on the EU level
- preparing policy updates and briefing notes
- drafting articles for website and newsletters
- attending and reporting on EU level events
- participating and shadowing advocacy & networking activities of the social affairs team
- support in the coordination of an on-going project on the integration of migrants and refugees in cities through economic activity
- support with research and gathering good practice examples on projects in the cities
- supporting the team members in developing policy statements and reports
- administrative tasks related to organising meetings and events such as the biannual Social Affairs Forum meeting.
We are looking for a person with
- bachelors degree
- knowledge of the EU institutions and the policy-making processes
- knowledge of EU social and employment policy
- interest in social and migration issues
- interest in urban affairs and/or the work of local authorities
- excellent English
- good social and organisational skills, such as proactivity, team work and time management
The following constitute strong assets:
- experience related to the work of local authorities
- experience with social and/or migration policy or projects at EU or local level
- experience with urban research on social policy topics
- dynamic and international working environment
- possibility of working on EU policy and projects
- possibility to learn on various EU policy areas, processes in EU institutions, advocacy and networking activities
- possibility to learn on urban policies and local projects
- possibly to learn on operations of an EU level membership network
- possibility to take part in the biannual meeting of our Social Affairs Forum
- assistance with living expenses of up to €200 per month under the Belgian legislation
- assistance with local public transport expenses
- a Belgian mobile phone number, with credit for calls and internet
- assistance with lunch expenses
- assistance with expenses of travel back to home city
- up to €300 reimbursement for travel home once during the contract
Please send your motivation letter and CV until 30 June 17.00 CET to:
Patricia de Wouters
Email subject : WEP SAF
The interviews will be held in the week of 17th July. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The successful candidate is expected to start the work placement in early September 2017 and carry it out for a period of six months until end of February 2018.