This working group (WG) is dedicated to raise awareness and to improve strategies for the prevention of substance abuse and to minimize the potential harms of use. The members of the group will explore strategies, methods and innovative solutions helping Europe's citizens to avoid the risks of substance abuse, addiction, and negative impact on the health of users as a cost-efficient way to significantly reduce future public spending. The WG will work for inclusion and well-being of all groups in the EU in line with SAF strategy vision: ‘Leave No One Behind’ and the priority of reducing inequality.
Priorities will be to:
- share knowledge, experiences and best practices on policy, science and strategic planning (incl. programmes, methods and activities)
- implement Critical Friend Review method at all meetings
- develop new, replicable innovations in prevention and harm reduction through projects
- raise awareness at EU level for efficient ways to prevent drug use and to minimize the risks of use
- identify suitable calls for proposals under Erasmus+ and other EU programmes
The third WG meeting took place in Lisbon on 20-21 May with 18 cities present. The next meeting will take place in autumn 2019.